Sunday, October 24, 2010

Going gluten-free: one month in

It’s been about a month since I started the gluten-free diet.  I’ll share a few of the gluten-free foods I’ve found to be pretty tasty. 

30-day update

I can’t say that I’ve noticed any major changes at this point.  On the other hand, I usually eat pretty healthily, so there’s been no dramatic shift away from cheeseburgers, Doritos, or cookies. 

I haven’t had to change much of what I usually eat:  mostly chicken and fish, vegetables and salads and rice, fruits and nuts.  Every couple of weeks, I do love to grill up a couple ribeyes.  I haven’t decided to go lactose-free, either, something that a number of people on discussion boards have said helped their psoriasis.  I’ll go to that option if I don’t notice any changes after about three to six months.

I poked around on Amazon to see what I could find;  here are the products that after a month, I still like and will continue to buy. 

Tip: you can save 15% off the top of your Amazon order by enlisting in the “Subscribe & Save” program. You can schedule automatic re-orders as far out as six months.  As far as I know, you get the discount even if you cancel future shipments.

Dietary changes

The biggest change I’ve had to make is in the bowl of cereal I had in the morning: most cereals are wheat-based, naturally.  I found a great, organic gluten-free replacement for my cereal needs in Nature's Path Organic Mesa Sunrise Cereal.  It’s made of corn and flax, and to my surprise, it tasted pretty good!  It’s sort of like really healthy cornflakes.

Organic Mesa Sunrise Cereal

For pasta, an acceptable –and also organic --substitute has been quinoa (“keen-wa” for those who were wondering).  I ordered the Ancient Harvest Quinoa Linguine, Organic, Gluten-free, 8-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12).

Organic quinoa

The other area you may find yourself constrained in: snacks.  Many traditional snacks are gluten-full: bread, pretzels, crackers, chips (although corn chips are fine).   One of my most favorite & relatively healthy gluten-free snacks is Golden Valley Natural Turkey Jerky, Original, 4-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 8).  I like the “original,” but there’s also sweet and hot, peppery, teriyaki, etc.  High in protein, low in fat, no MSG, and raised from “free-range turkeys” without artificial growth hormones.  I’ve tried a lot of jerkeys, and this is by far the best.

Golden Valley Turkey Jerky

Links and more

No comments:

Post a Comment